Saturday, September 3, 2011

An (Un)Anticipated Birthday

Its been sixteen years since that day, that lucky day I got a chance to wake up from the abysmal sleep, the day I peeked out from behind the eyebrows and for the first time peered into the great big world. Seventeen years, that’s a long time one might say; the joys of childhood, the recklessness of schools, are all behind me. The ambrosia of joy I once had so much fun tasting, I have lost for ever. The merry of friend-gossiping, the fun during slide playing; now I can never feel them again. I have now lived through a fifth of my life, well almost a fifth, but the fun is all behind me now, stored safely in the chest of memories.

It was fun, no doubt; fun to learn to live life, fun to improve myself subconsciously. It was great fun to play cricket in the rain, fun to race with my friends on a really muddy ground. Fighting with girls over petty matters, well that was ROCKING. I still remember a few of my Girl---Friends and the kind of cat-dog fighting we used to have in class, you heard me—“IN” class, just when the teacher would be teaching in the class. Sometimes it would be about the thing taught, at others it would be about how they looked (Hehe). You can’t believe the points they select when they decide to fight, these girls I tell you; it means WAR. I remember how I once got carried away and really offended one of my former flames, got carried away in the wrath of the fight I should say, and have been regretted that incident ever since.

My life hasn’t been straight, hasn’t flowed through its course like a river; rather it has been like a river meant for rafting where the water flows like it is about to kill or something. People often raise their eyebrows in question or widen their iris in surprise when they find the bastard I can be. My tongue cuts through others sentences like scissors; and once enraged I am often unable to stop in a quarrel, which my friends find strange for a geek. Well, I tell them that I was not always a good student, I have been bad. There were times when I was the friend of the meanest and the worst people civil people would name; only because we had a common interest-basketball. I was never a smoker, but I have been many other things. The people I tell these things to often ponder over my words, and finally laugh; quite annoying really. But I am not going to tell them that, not going to start another fight for no reason at all I am not.

Today was my birthday, and after a 16 year long meditation and philosophical discovery, I learnt to accept that today was just another day, nothing special. When I woke up, I anticipated my parents wishing me, like they had been doing for the past 16 years, before everyone else; just the contrary happened, they forgot. The person who called me always at the first never called. On the basketball court my friends turned out to be the first ones to wish me my birthday. The first three pointer I shot went in, it was a good sign. But, everything I shot later didn’t; guess its one of those days isn’t it?

Except for my parents, and my big-mother, well that’s what I call my mom’s sis, each and everybody of my god forsaken relatives literally forgot that today was my birthday; I was shattered. I was with my maternal uncle the whole day…….even my Grand-mom forgot. I didn’t mind, however; why would I mind, it was just another day, wasn’t it? ….. I was constantly checking facebook, and there were really sweet messages; wishes and birthday greetings. However, I felt that the greetings I got were electronic; one minute it is there and the next  moment, wooosh……. It definitely didn’t beat the handwritten greetings, or the sense of pure feeling conveyed by the words, soothing words in this case( I was shattered, remember). How nice it would have been had anybody called me and told me “happy bday dude”, heavenly!!!!!! (number nahune lai ta fb thikai ho, hunalai ni?)

 Today I realized that birthday was just another day if one didn’t know how to celebrate, or didn’t have people one cares for around him to celebrate with. There is no point in enjoying more on a birthday, or enjoying less for that matter on any other day. Today, I anticipated many things to happen on their own, they did not. It may be a birthday gone to waste, but to me it taught a valuable lesson…ASLI MAJA TO SAB KE SATH AATA HAIN

P.S This blog was written with strong waves of emotion, please consider it as such. I know that the language is not that good.

1 comment:

  1. As you have already warned, I must see the emotion side.I felt it and finished it unconsciously !!!

    ReplyDelete